How to start a career as an irrigation specialist
HOW TO START A CAREER AS AN IRRIGATION SPECIALIST IN UK
Irrigation specialists are professionals who are responsible for the installation and servicing of irrigation systems. There are no formal educational requirements to becoming irrigation specialists as most professionals began their careers with an entry-level position at a groundskeeping company or a professional gardening outfit. These experts understand how to arrange various types of water systems. However, it is a fantastic idea to be certified with a recognized network like the National Association of Landscape Professionals.
Being certified opens doors to job opportunities in the labor market and makes you more competitive. Having a certificate offers you a competitive edge over other competitors in the labor market. It also demonstrates your commitment to efficient water management and offers instant credibility with your employers and customers.
Attributes of certified irrigation specialists are as follows:
- Understanding of surface irrigation techniques and pressurized systems such as sprinklers.
- Evaluation of crops and determining water availability.
- Understanding of soil-plant-water relationships and the impact of salinity.
- Development of efficient and cost-effective irrigation schedules that aligns with the crop’s water requirement.
University Program Requirements
- At least 1 A Level, or its equivalent, for a foundation degree
- Between 1 and 3 A Levels, or equivalent, for a higher national diploma or degree.
Apprenticeship Program Requirements
- 5 GCSEs at grade 9 to 4 (A* to C), or its equivalent, including English and Mathematics, for an advanced apprenticeship.
Skills required to be a professional irrigation specialist are as follows:
- Paying attention to detail
- Understanding of the subject matter of Physics.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems hardware and software.
- Possess verbal and excellent communication skills.
- Analytical thinking skills
- Capacity to handle machinery.